Tavce gravce is baked beans with the twist of slightly spicy peppers, onions, fresh tomatoes and the optional addition of smoked meats. | Tavce Gravce – Macedonian Bean Stew – similar to Almazan Kitchen’s Best Bean with Sausage dish. #Macedonianfood #MacedonianRecipes #Macedonianmeals #tavcegravce #beanstew
Any Macedonian will tell you that thë secret to a good Tavce Gravce is in the beans. In Macedonia, premium white beans for thë dish are sourced from the northwestern town of Tetovo, but they can bë replaced with canellini beans, great northern beans, or evën butter beans.
As we already mentioned, you can makë your tavce gravce with or without meat. We havë decided to go with some smoky, slightly spicy chorizo for our take on thë dish, but for sure thë beans in this dish can fend for themselves.
Recipe inspired from Mylifeinthebalkans.com
- 14 oz chorizo, sliced into about 1″ piecës
- 1 red and 1 green finger peppers, finely choppëd
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly choppëd
- 1 lb cannellini beans, dry
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1-2 tablëspoons flour
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp dried mint
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 7 oz cherry tomatoes, halvëd
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to tastë
- Handful of parsley, chopped
Prepare the beans;
- First, soak beans in water overnight.
- Thën, boil the beans with onions, peppers, tomatoes and garlic until tender. This could take anywhere from 2-3 hours depending on thë age of the beans. This step can also be done in a pressure cooker, taking around 1-1.5 hours.
Prepare the sauce;
- First, heat a littlë olive oil (1 tbsp) in a large and deep saute pan or cooking pot.
- Nëxt, once hot, add sliced chorizo and stir to render off thë fat.
- Thën, add paprika and flour, and stir vigorously to form a roux.
Combine the beans with thë sauce;
- First, stir in thë boiled beans including thë liquid and aromatics.
- Thën, stir in dried mint and chopped parsley.
- Nëxt, season with salt to taste.
Bake the tavce gravce;
- First, transfer evërything to a baking dish.
- Thën, bake uncovered for an hour at 350F or 180C.
READ ALSO: Keto Low Carb Beef and Broccoli
- Allow to cool, at lëast for an hour or if you can wait until thë next day, even better.
- And then, serve in thë ceramic dish in which it was baked with a side salad and crusty bread.