Samsung’s Galaxy S sequence made its debut on June 4, 2010, and because then it’s transform the telephone line most of the people call to mind when Android is discussed.
No longer all telephones are created equivalent despite the fact that, so that you could mark a decade of Galaxy S units we idea it could be a a laugh concept to rank each and every era so as from worst to very best. We attempted to steadiness the essential and industrial reception with the true significance of each and every telephone(s), the options and specifications on be offering, and our personal intestine emotions. We’ve additionally determined to simply stick with the mainline releases, in order that approach no entries just like the Galaxy S20 FE and Galaxy S4 Zoom.
Comparable: Best possible Samsung Galaxy offers
It is going with out announcing that that is curious about just a little of a laugh, your evaluations would possibly range! It’s additionally price remembering that many of those telephones are one of the best the smartphone international has ever observed — being the worst of the perfect continues to be beautiful nice. With all that mentioned, remember to vote to your favourite Galaxy S sequence within the ballot beneath and provides us your personal ratings within the feedback!
For a extra detailed have a look at the historical past of Galaxy S telephones, remember to learn our retrospective right here.
12. Samsung Galaxy S6
2015’s Galaxy S6 was once a notable free up for a few causes. It marked the variability’s first foray into the glass design territory popularized via the iPhone. It additionally noticed Samsung fit Apple with regards to pricing technique, having most often been less expensive than the iPhone till this level. However the Galaxy S6 takes the wood spoon in our ratings as it minimize or compromised such a lot of options observed at the Galaxy S5 so as to do so design. That intended no IP score, no detachable battery, no microSD make stronger, and a way smaller battery.
- Top rate design
- Exynos 7420 chipset was once a beast
- Nice digital camera
- Fingerprint reader that wasn’t horrible
- Local wi-fi charging (no particular case required)
- Tiny battery
- No IP score
- No microSD growth or detachable battery
11. Samsung Galaxy S
The telephone that began all of it, the Samsung Galaxy S (or Galaxy S1) turns out laughable now while you take a look at the specifications. A 1Ghz single-core chipset, 512MB of RAM, a 4-inch 480 x 800 display screen. However this was once just about as excellent because it were given within the early days of Android, and it in point of fact was once early. The most important downsides had been the uninspired design, gaudy device, and loss of a digital camera flash.
- Nice browser again when Chrome wasn’t on cell
- As excellent because it were given with regards to core specifications
- No digital camera flash
- Battery lifestyles wasn’t unbelievable
- Uninteresting design
10. Samsung Galaxy S2
Between the early nature of Android on the time and a normal loss of polish, the Samsung Galaxy S1 fell simply shy of greatness. Samsung’s 2nd try in 2011, alternatively, delivered some of the very best Android telephones up to now. The Galaxy S2 presented a strong design, detachable battery, an OLED display screen, and brisk internals. An completed, necessary step in Samsung’s ascent to the highest of the Android international, the one reason why it isn’t upper in this listing is that Samsung US and its community companions created such a lot of variants (Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Contact, someone?) that discovering a real Galaxy S2 (the GT-I9100) was once a virtually Sisyphean activity.
- Rear digital camera may compete with iPhone lineup
- 2MP selfie digital camera when VGA or 1.3MP was once the norm
- Large number of video codecs
- OLED display screen was once beautiful nifty
- Mediocre battery lifestyles
- A ton of variants that created market confusion
9. Samsung Galaxy S4
The Galaxy S4 wasn’t simply Samsung’s most well liked Galaxy S sequence telephone, it’s additionally the most productive promoting Android telephone of all time. Nevertheless it additionally felt like the instant the place Samsung jumped the shark. The principle perpetrator right here was once TouchWiz, as Samsung bring in a ton of bloatware and took an “the entirety and the kitchen sink as smartly” way to its personal device additions. Do you in point of fact want web page scrolling by the use of a head tilt? Or the facility to create a 5.1 encompass sound device with six telephones? That’s to not say that it didn’t have any fascinating device additions, like “bothies” (sure, method prior to Nokia) and Drama Shot, however be fair, did you ever use even those novel options greater than as soon as?
- Detachable battery with microSD card slot
- Excellent daylight hours image high quality
- Nice demonstrate
- Bloated Android pores and skin with many gimmicky options
- Mainly Galaxy S3.1 with regards to design
- Low-light symbol high quality paled compared to HTC One
8. Samsung Galaxy S20
It sort of feels like for each couple of positives concerning the Galaxy S20 sequence, there’s a detrimental. You’re getting a ton of options basically, spectacular hybrid zoom (and periscope zoom at the Extremely), a beautiful 120Hz OLED display screen, 5G, excellent battery lifestyles, and 8K recording. However you’re additionally getting a hefty price ticket (from $1,000 to $1,400), gimmicky 100x Area Zoom, no right kind telephoto digital camera at the S20 or S20 Plus, and a tackle One UI that’s beginning to be afflicted by function creep like Samsung skins of previous. This could also be the primary Samsung Galaxy S sequence that absolutely ditched the headphone jack. Boo. Nonetheless, those are nonetheless one of the most very best top rate telephones of 2020, and are worthy entries in Samsung’s ongoing smartphone dynasty.
- Magnificence-leading monitors
- 8K recording having the ability to extract 33MP frames
- 120Hz refresh price
- Flexible cameras
- Excellent battery lifestyles
- Disappointingly pricey pricing
- Large efficiency hole between Snapdragon and Exynos variants
- Zoom features had been overstated
- No 3.5mm port
- No Galaxy S20e
7. Samsung Galaxy S21
Robert Triggs / Android Authority
Samsung’s 2021 flagships cross a ways in opposition to solving the place the S20 sequence went mistaken, however there are a couple of main missteps too. The Galaxy S21 sequence is $200 less expensive around the board, beginning at $800 for the bottom S21 all of the option to $1,200 for the S21 Extremely. The Extremely type is the superstar of the display right here despite the fact that, that includes two zoom-focused cameras (3X and 10X), S-Pen make stronger, and a major digital camera that doesn’t be afflicted by main autofocus problems just like the S20 Extremely. The sequence does have a couple of downsides, because the S21 has a plastic again whilst the S21 and S21 Plus each lack QHD+ monitors. All 3 telephones additionally ditch the in-box charger, microSD growth, and don’t make stronger ultra-fast charging. Nonetheless, the associated fee drop blended with an upgraded Extremely type turns out to have ended in large preliminary gross sales expansion in the United States.
- Excellent monitors with top refresh price
- Nice image/video high quality
- Inexpensive than S20 sequence
- Two zoom cameras on Extremely type
- S-Pen make stronger for S21 Extremely
- Exynos chipset narrows hole to Snapdragon SoC
- No microSD card slot
- S21 and S21 Plus ditch QHD+ monitors
- No in-box charger
- Plastic again for Galaxy S21
- S21 and S21 Plus don’t see digital camera/charging/battery adjustments over remaining yr
6. Samsung Galaxy S9
The Galaxy S9 was once necessarily the Galaxy S8.1, which in flip shared some DNA with the Galaxy S7. It featured a identical glass design to the Galaxy S8, with a whole lot of inside specifications staying the similar too. The Galaxy S sequence were given a dual-camera setup for the primary time, however this was once limited to the Galaxy S9 Plus. Different upgrades come with local 960fps slow-motion recording, dual-aperture major cameras, and AR Emoji. The telephones most often took a moderately protected manner at a time when rival Huawei dropped the leading edge P20 Professional, and we noticed a lot of extra reasonably priced flagships too. If we had been simply bearing in mind the Plus type, it’d rank above its direct predecessor, however as it’s, the Galaxy S9 sits in a decent position within the 6th spot.
- Tremendous slow-mo may well be cool
- Fingerprint reader was once in a extra handy location
- Holy trifecta of a three.5mm port, IP68, and wi-fi charging
- Same old Galaxy S9 was once gimped (no secondary rear digital camera, much less RAM)
- Design was once an evolution of S8, which wasn’t an enormous exchange over S7
- Battery dimension didn’t see an building up over S8 sequence both
- Twin aperture function was once fascinating, however an evolutionary dead-end
5. Samsung Galaxy S8
The Samsung Galaxy S8 was once the primary with Bluetooth 5.0, roughly.
2017 noticed the majority of telephones adopting an 18:9 display screen ratio or upper. The Galaxy S8 circle of relatives was once no exception. It delivered masses extra stunning OLED display screen whilst nonetheless feeling simple to carry. Samsung’s early 2017 flagships additionally noticed the debut of a lot of options, similar to DeX, the Bixby voice assistant, the much-maligned Bixby button, and an iris scanner that wasn’t as horrible as many idea it was once going to be. The similar can’t be mentioned of the rear fingerprint scanner, then again. How did someone suppose that sticking it subsequent to the digital camera was once a good suggestion? Nonetheless, after a coarse few months following the exploding Observe 7 debacle, the Galaxy S8 sequence was once a well timed reminder that Samsung was once nonetheless the highest canine.
- Advanced picture high quality because of multi-frame symbol processing
- Incredible design
- DeX actually introduced a PC-like enjoy to the desk
- 3-D Contact house button was once a perfect substitute for a bodily button
- No twin cameras when opponents had it for a yr
- Bixby button couldn’t be remapped in the beginning
- Fingerprint scanner location was once terrible
- Reasonable battery lifestyles
4. Samsung Galaxy S3
The Galaxy S/Galaxy S1 can have began the sequence and the Galaxy S2 can have proven us that Samsung’s digital camera workforce may compete with Apple, however the Galaxy S3 was once the top level for the company’s first few flagships. The Galaxy S3 delivered an enchanting plastic design, a retooled, nature-themed TouchWiz UI with a couple of neat options (Good Keep to stay the display screen on, a popup video participant), and fast internals. Taken in combination, you had the variability’s first genuine iPhone killer with regards to each gross sales and total high quality.
- Tough internals
- Detachable battery and microSD make stronger
- Nice digital camera
- Some helpful device additions
- TouchWiz UX now not as clean as many different Android skins
- Plastic design didn’t really feel as top rate as steel or glass
3. Samsung Galaxy S10
2019’s Galaxy S10 circle of relatives had anything for everybody, from the extra reasonably priced Galaxy S10e to the Galaxy S10 Plus with all of the bells and whistles, or even a souped-up 5G type. This something-for-everyone manner ended in one of the most very best Galaxy flagships ever. It additionally marked the primary yr of Samsung providing more than one cameras on all units, a long-overdue transfer when the likes of LG, Huawei, and Xiaomi had twin cameras or extra for a few years already. Toss in slick punch-hole designs, the debut of the One UI pores and skin, and lovely OLED monitors, and there was once so much to love right here.
- Versatile digital camera setups on all fashions
- Magnificence-leading OLED monitors
- The Galaxy S10e with its nice specifications and value
- Ultimate Galaxy flagships with headphone jacks
- IP68 score and wi-fi charging
- Cameras excellent however now not nice (particularly at evening)
- 15W charging is gradual in comparison to maximum opponents
- In-display fingerprint scanner was once hit-and-miss
2. Samsung Galaxy S5
Used to be 2014 the most productive ever yr for smartphones? Whether it is, then some credit score has to visit the Galaxy S5, which noticed Samsung bringing its A sport. The Galaxy S5 was once the primary mainline Galaxy flagship with water resistance, however it didn’t come on the expense of a detachable battery or microSD make stronger. This was once additionally some of the first Samsung telephones with 4K recording (following the Galaxy Observe 3). Moreover, the telephone’s real-time HDR capacity was once a perfect addition at a time when HDR pictures on maximum telephones was once nonetheless a gradual, blurry mess. The one giant unhappiness was once the swipe-based fingerprint scanner, which paled compared to the iPhone 5S’s touch-based scanner. A liked telephone that simply misses out at the best spot via a hair.
- Water resistance
- Detachable battery and microSD make stronger
- Nice symbol high quality with real-time HDR
- Swipe-based fingerprint scanner wasn’t as intuitive as touch-based scanners
- MicroUSB port calls for a plastic flap to seal in opposition to water injury
1. Samsung Galaxy S7
The most efficient Galaxy S sequence of all-time addressed all the Galaxy S6 sequence’ obtrusive problems, and boy did it repair so much. Larger batteries? Test. Water resistance? Yep. MicroSD growth? Certainly. Another way, the Galaxy S7 sequence additionally delivered a in a similar way succesful 12MP major digital camera, 240fps slow-mo (matching the iPhone), and fast internals. A best dealer and a textbook case of significant evolution and now not simply iteration for iteration’s sake, the Galaxy S7 additionally served because the antithesis of the iPhone vary on the time. All hail the Galaxy S7.
- Waterproof design
- Wi-fi charging
- MicroSD growth
- Nice picture/video high quality
- Glass design simply draws fingerprints
- MicroUSB when main opponents switched to USB-C
That’s it for our Samsung Galaxy S sequence ratings! Do you accept as true with the order? Tell us down beneath.