The BEST Hearty Autumn Garden Soup is hearty soup uses a little bit of everything and makes for a great belly-warmer on a cool fall day. This dish is perfect for dinner with family or friends. You’ll love this easy amazing soup. #autumn #fall #soup #comfortfood #dinner #vegetables
Recipe adapted from Almanac.com
WHAT YOU NEED:
For 4-6 servings
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach or other greens, trimmed and chopped
- 1 cup pureed winter squash or pumpkin
- 3 stalks celery, chopped, or handful of celery leaves
- 1 ham bone
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped salt pork
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 cup fresh shell beans*
- a few leaves each of mint, marjoram, basil, rosemary, and thyme
- several sprigs parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- grated cheese, for garnish
HOW TO MAKE:
- First, put the ham bone into a large stockpot, cover with water, and simmer over medium heat for 1 hour.
- Then, in a frying pan, cook the salt pork until the fat is released.
- Next, add the garlic, parsley, onions, carrots, and celery and saute lightly, without browning.
- Then, remove the ham bone from the pot and skim any fat from the stock.
- Next, cut off any bits of meat from the ham bone and return them to the soup.
- Then, add the onion and carrot mixture to the ham broth and simmer for 1 hour.
- And next… add the beans, herbs, tomatoes, spinach, and squash. Simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- And last… Serve hot, with a sprinkling of grated cheese then enjoy it!
*You can substitute for fresh shell beans with ½ cup dried navy beans or soldier beans cooked in unsalted water, or fresh green or wax beans.