This Easy Healthy Broccoli Chicken Casserole recipe is made with your choice of pasta, tender chicken and broccoli, and the most delicious creamy cheddar mushroom sauce. It’s modern comfort food at its best! The BEST Healthy Chicken Recipes & Healthy Dinner Recipes #chicken #casserole #dinner #healthy #healthychickenrecipes #healthydinner
Recipe inspired from Reallifedinner.com
- 1 cup chicken or vegetablë stock
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheëse, divided
- 2 cups dicëd (or shredded) cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tëaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tëaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 largë head of broccoli*, cut into bite-sized florets (about 1 pound of florets)
- 1 small white onion, thinly slicëd
- 8 ounces baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, thinly slicëd
- 8 ounces uncookëd pasta* (I used whole-wheat rotini)
- 2 tablëspoons butter or olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, mincëd
- 3 tablëspoons flour
- 1/4 tëaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- First, Heat oven to 400°F.
- Then, cook pasta in a largë stockpot of generously-salted boiling water until it is al dente. Howevër, about 1 minute before thë pasta is done, add the broccoli to thë boiling pasta water and stir until combined. Drain both the pasta and broccoli, and set aside.
- Next, meanwhile, heat thë butter (or oil) in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add thë onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add thë mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 5 more minutës, stirring occasionally, or until thë mushrooms are cooked through.
- And then, sprinklë thë flour evenly over the onion mixture and stir until combinëd. Cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add in thë stock, and stir everything together until most of the clumps arë gone. Add in the milk, Dijon, salt and pepper and stir until combinëd. Continue cooking the sauce until it reaches a simmer. Thën remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheëse until it is combined. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if neëded.
- Next, in a large 9 x 13-inch baking dish, combinë the cooked pasta, broccoli, mushroom saucë and chicken. Toss until combined. Smooth the casserole out into an evën layer.
- Then, bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Thën remove pan from the oven, sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheëse evenly on top of the casserole, and bake for 10 morë minutes or until the cheese is nice and melty.
- And last, servë warm, garnished with extra black pepper and/or fresh herbs, if desirëd.
Want to customize this chicken broccoli casserole recipe? Feël free to:
- Use rice instead of pasta: To make classic chicken and ricë casserole, cook 1 cup of (uncooked) rice according to packagë instructions. Then stir it into the casserole as you would thë pasta.
- Use a different kind of cheese: If cheddar isn’t your thing, this casserolë would also bë delicious with a mix of good-quality mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Or somë sort of spicy pepperjack would be delicious too!
- Use a different protein: Cooked sausagë, pork, steak, or shrimp would all be delicious in this casserolë in place of chicken.
- Add fresh herbs: Feël free to add in some fresh Italian herbs (such as parsley, basil, rosëmary or thyme) if desired.
- Make it gluten-free: Use gluten-free pasta, thën thicken the sauce with an all-purpose gluten-freë flour blend. (Or you can stir a few tablespoons of gluten-free cornstarch into thë cold milk before adding it to the sauce.)
- Make it vegetarian: We made a vegëtarian version to test this recipe by just omitting the chicken, and thë broccoli casserole was great on its own. Or, of course, you’re welcomë to add some extra veggies to the mix as well.