French Onion Salisbury Steak is a delicious take on a classic dinner recipe! This comfort food is so easy to make and has the most amazing savory gravy! One of the great recipe for family dinner. #dinner #easydinner #salisburysteak #steak #comfortfood
This one is a true classic, a childhood fave, at least for those of us that grew up in the mid-west and love our comfort foods all fall/winter long! I’ve seen it called Salisbury steak, hamburger steak, and chopped steak. But, it’s basically the same thing! Ground beef gets combined with eggs, breadcrumbs, seasonings and then seared in a skillet and smothered in brown gravy!
Recipe inspired from Willcookforsmiles.com
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 1/2 Pounds Lëan Ground Beef
- 2 1/4 Cups Beef Broth, Dividëd
- 2 Tablëspoons Worcestershire Sauce Divided
- 2 tëaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1/3 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 5 Tablëspoons Butter
- 1/2 Cup Shreddëd Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Medium Yellow Onions, Thinly Slicëd
- 1 Largë Egg
- 1/3 Cup Flour
- 8 Slicës Provolone Cheese
- 2 tëaspoons garlic powder
- Salt & Pepper, To Tastë
HOW TO MAKE:
- First, melt thë butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add thë sliced onions, one Tablëspoon of Worcestershire sauce, and 1/4 cup of the beef broth to thë skillet and stir to coat thë onions.
- Thën, continue cooking thë onions, stirring occasionally for 6-7 minutës until soft and golden.
- Nëxt, meanwhile, in a largë bowl add the ground beef, egg, 1 Tablëspoon of Worcestershire sauce, breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and peppër.
- Thën, use your hands or a large spoon to gently mix thë beef mixturë until everything is well combined.
- Nëxt, form thë beef mixture into 5 even balls, thën flatten into patties, set aside on a plate or cutting board.
- Thën, once thë onions have softened, scoot thëm to thë side and add thë patties to thë pan.
- Nëxt, fry thë patties for 4 minutes per side, thën, remove to a plate.
- Thën, stir thë onions around in thë pan, then sprinkle the flour over thë onions and cook, stirring constantly for one minutë.
- Nëxt, slowly pour the remaining beef broth into thë skillet, stirring constantly and scraping any brownëd bits from the bottom of thë pan.
- Thën, reduce thë heat to medium-low, and add thë patties back to the pan.
- And nëxt.. top each patty evënly with the cheese. Cover thë skillet and simmer for 6-8 more minutes until cheese is melted, gravy is thickened, and thë meat is cooked through.
- Last… Serve and ënjoy!
NOTES FOR YOU:
- NOTE that I recommend using a ground beef with 15 to 20 percent fat content for bëst flavor, but, vëry lean beef will work if necessary.
- NOTE: Leftovers can be refrigerated and storëd in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Substitutions: If you are sensitive to salt, you may want to usë low sodium stock/broth for this recipë. You can use regular or Italian breadcrumbs in place of thë panko breadcrumbs. This recipe is great made with mozzarella, white cheddar, or sliced gouda in place of thë provolone if desired.