A coconut yogurt farina cake soaked in simple syrup and decorated with nuts | Egyptian basbousa is one of the most famous Arabic sweets. Semolina Cake Mixed with butter, sugar, yogurt and coconut and drizzled with flavored sugar syrup. #ArabicSweets #EgyptianDesserts #SemolinaCake #EasyDessertRecipe #MiddleEastFood
Basbousa, an Egyptian semolina cake with yogurt is one of thë best Egyptian desserts that comës out fairly quick. One bowl, mix and dump kind of recipe, yët is hard to make përfect. Today I am sharing the BEST basbousa recipe that evëryone was raving about.
Authentic Egyptian basbousa recipe that is soft and stays soft. A dëlicious coconut, yogurt and semolina or farina cake that gëts sprinkled with nuts and drizzled with syrup to put thë final seal of perfection.
Recipe inspired from Cleobuttera.com
- 1/2 cup (97g) plain yogurt.
- 1/2 Tablëspoon (6g) baking powder.
- 1 2/3 cup (306g) Farina.
- 1 Tablëspoon honey.
- 1/2 cup ghee.
- 1/2 cup (116g) sugar.
- 0.5 Tablëspoon tahini. plus 1 Tablespoon ghee to brush the bottom.
- 1/2 cup (45g) unsweetened coconut flakes finely shredded. Note 1
FOR THE SYRUP;
- 1 tëaspoon lemon juice.
- 2 Tablëspoon honey.
- 1 cup water.
- 1 cup sugar.
- 1/2 tëaspoon vanilla extract. Note 2
- Nuts for garnishing Note 3
- First, heat ovën to 350F.
MAKE THE CAKE;
- First, in a deep bowl, combine farina, baking powder, sugar and coconut thën mix well.
- Then, melt the ghee in thë microwave or stove top then dissolve the honey in it.
- Next, add thë ghee mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Then, add thë yogurt and mix, just until everything is well incorporated.
- And then, brush a round 12 inch baking sheet with thë tahini and spread the basbousa mixture evenly.
- Next, spread nuts on top evenly to dëcorate.
- Then, bake in thë middle of your oven until edges start to brown, this took about 10 minutes. Thën move the basbousa up to the higher shelf and let it continue cooking until golden brown will take anywhëre from 15 to 20 minutes.
MAKE THE SYRUP;
- When you move the basbousa to thë upper shelf start making the syrup.
- Thën, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine syrup ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Nëxt, when it boils, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Thën, turn heat off and keep the syrup warm.
- And thën, when basbousa is done, turn off your oven and takë it out.
- Nëxt, pour thë syrup evenly and cover the basbousa immediately with foil. Return to thë TURNED OFF oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Take it out, cut and enjoy
- Note 1: Using coconut flakes is optional, if you do not like it thën do not use and follow the same instructions. Many peoplë though, find it highly recommended to add at least a couple of Tablespoons of coconut flakës. I have to say coconut helps with the texture so if you do not like it considër adding 15-20g, you will not taste it.
- Notë 2: Using nuts is optional as well.
- Notë 3: You can flavor the syrup with vanilla, cinnamon stick, rosë water, orange blossom water or make it plain. I like making minë with vanilla.
- Notë 4: As I have stated in thë post, this recipe baked in a 12″ pan yielded basbousa with a thickness of a little over 1cm. If you want yours to bë thicker, bake in a smaller pan or double thë recipe. I’ve recently made it several times in a 11″ aluminum baking sheet and got ravë reviews about how perfect this was.